10 Kid Friendly Attractions in Houston, Texas
Taking a family vacation to Houston, the biggest city in Texas and the fourth largest city in the United States? Consider these kid friendly destinations!
1. Johnson Space Center- The Space Center Houston is located just down NASA Parkway from Hilton Houston NASA Clear Lake. It features interactive exhibits including moon rocks and a shuttle simulator. The Space Center provides the opportunity to experience zero gravity simulation and visitors can watch a virtual rocket launch.
2. Kamah Boardwalk- Houston’s largest amusement and entertainment park has a Ferris Wheel, train ride, a carousel, and the thrilling Boardwalk Bullet roller coaster nestled among various restaurants. The Boardwalk features a Stingray Reef where the kids can touch and feed live stingrays!
3. Houston Zoo- The Houston Zoo stands out because of its variety which includes an aquarium, a 4-D movie theatre, an African Forest, and the McGovern Children’s Zoo. The McGovern Children’s Zoo features a water playground, pop-up domes, a petting area, and play areas.
4. Amazon Grill- Once the kids get hungry, head on over to the unique and casual Amazon Grill a Tex-Mex restaurant that features table top s’mores and is just two miles away from the Houston Marriott Medical Center.
5. The Children’s Museum- Looking for an educational activity for the family vacation? The Children’s Museum in Houston has been coined “A Playground for Your Mind” and features a Building Zone, a Think Tank, an Inventors Workshop and the Attack of the Bloodsuckers. Insider Tip: Free Family Nights are offered every Thursday!
6. The Weather Museum- The Weather Museum is the newest addition to Houston’s Museum District. This museum is interactive and portrays the wonders of weather. The children even have the opportunity to create their own weather broadcast in the Weather Studio!
7. Splashtown- If you are visiting Houston in the summer, Splashtown is a necessary daytime activity to escape the summer heat. Splashtown Waterpark will not disappoint the thrill seekers in the family with its Stingray Racer, the Tornado, the Thunder Run, and the Texas Freefall.
8. Aquarium- The Houston Aquarium, located Downtown, is a underwater wonderland where the children can see over 400 species of marine life including White Tigers. The Houston Aquarium features a one-of-a-kind dining experience alongside a 150,000 gallon two-story tank.
9. Discovery Green- Discovery Green is an urban 12 acre public park located across from the Hilton Americas Hotel. Discovery Green features dog trails, fountains, playgrounds, a family stage, and a lake. It is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the outdoors while still being in the center of Houston.
10. Aerodrome Ice Skating Rink- Aerodrome offers a winter activity all year round! Take the family to Aerodrome for ice skating or to catch a local hockey game. The Aerodrome Ice Skating Complex in Houston can provide another escape from the heat or a way to get into the holiday spirit in the winter!
Photo Credit: Houstonian